Friday 14 November 2008

Thick me....

OK - so I don't get it!!
I paid £1.10 a litre for my diesel. Apparantly that is split 60% at full fuel duty for propulsion, and 40% at discounted rate for generation and heating. Forget the fact that that is all wrong and daft in the first place. However, how come given that equation - I can buy white diesel at 100% full fuel duty for £1.07 at the most expensive garage in Warwickshire and Nottinghamshire. I can only guess the boatyards are now ripping us off.....
Anyone got a 57foot trailer and hoist?

6 comments:

Nb Yarwood said...

Steve
We are seriously tempted to invest in gerry cans and buy white diesel at a cheaper rate than that being offered on the cut - the lack of 'freedom' to self declare is a bit of a no,no as well.

Khayamanzi said...

You're not the only one who doesn't get it but the thing I don't get is why so many boaters are rolling over to have their tummies tickled on this one and not standing up to say so!! I can't find a single blog out there dealing with the issue let alone a user group who are 'supposed' to be representing the views and concerns of boaters??

Anonymous said...

Have to say it confuses me - My calculation is we should be paying around 96p per litre, according to the split and exise duty - so who is creaming the rest?

Khayamanzi said...

Here's an interesting take someone suggested!

The self declaration is a legal document therefore signing to declare a split which is not correct is a false declaration and a crime. If boat yards force a false declaration from us - are they aiding and abetting?

hmmmm - needs investigating me thinks!

Steve said...

Steve. Check with RN if you are thinking about using DERV for your engine. Its low sulphur. Your fuel pump may need the sulphur for lubrication. A lot of 'vintage' boy's are councilling about not using DERV for this reason.

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

I suggest you take a look here
http://www.choiceforum.co.uk/blog/links/diesel_split.htm
According to this Rose does allow you to declear your own split, but thet may be since you filled up.
Brian