Friday 1 February 2008

Design Stage

Ok, so no money holds up K2's build, but, the design is now complete, I think. Incorporated into the boat is a traditional boatmans cabin, engine room, bathroom, galley and saloon, as well as a full size double bed under the tug deck. Despite being a "baby" in length, the design allows for everything I think is needed for live aboard, and extended cruising. My concession to modern living is the inclusion of a washing machine.
I have given up the composting toilet thing - no-one seems to have good experience with them. As many people seem to be taking them out, as putting them in. The principle is sound, maybe the outworking is poor! Equally I would be heading for the Kelvin J series, rather than a K. Less engine room is required for this baby donkey, but it produces more than enough horses to push K2 through the water, even tidals.
So... There we are - comments, critical or otherwise, gratefully received.

7 comments:

Khayamanzi said...

Is that a Bubble stove I see in the saloon - think seriously about that as almost everyone I've met with these regret it! Apparently they cokeup easily and are pigs to get going especially as they get older. One boat next to me used to fill his boat with smoke and fumes and have to go out for a 15min. walk every time he wanted to light it. Another guy almost set fire to his boat with his as he couldn't get it going at all, got cross with it and poured meths in with the innevitable consequences!!

You can't beat a solid fuel IMHO!!

Waterrat said...

Thanks Andy - I think I was using "Bubble" the same way as we say "hoover" I haven't yet specified any internal fittings as such - this is merely a layout design.

drew dunn said...

hiya steve love the layout and eventually would like to live on my very own canal boat.

just a question for you though what program did you use to draw the design on

cheers drew

drewdunnrespect.blogspot.com

Waterrat said...

Drew hi, It's Microsoft Visio. It will do the layout plans, then convert to a picture as you see - it's great for the job...

drew dunn said...

cheers steve, just a question for you can you down load this program from the tinternet cheers

drew

Waterrat said...

Drew, don't think so - I think you have to send a large wad of your hard earned cash to that almost monopoly that owns your PC and all the software you put on it!! Then they give you a non-discript CD in a small case!
Feel free to come to my place and borrow both PC and said program anytime...
Steve

drew dunn said...

cheers for the offer mate but amjust in the process of buying new laptop and that is one of the specs i have asked for cheers anyway drew