Thursday 4 June 2009

Named Boat!

Finally took the plunge! Ever since I bought K2, I kept part of the money aside waiting to get her signwritten. It was planned to do that once the loan was paid off and she is totally mine - but as my shares were virtually worthless when I was made redundant, I can't wait any longer (and the money isn't attracting any interest in the bank these days!) - So a little tarpaulin tent was erected around the back cabin of K2, like this!!.....
And in all the sweltering heat, Sheila sat inside, patiently sweating out each letter, one by one. It's an amazing art - and fantastic to watch, needing patience, a steady hand and arm, and a keen eye - all qualities I don't have!
The neighbourlyness and community spirit in the marina came to the fore. As I couldn't get to K2 before today, not only did Richard and Audrone provide cups of tea and coffee, but also allowed the pontoon to be completely blocked as Sheila worked away. Only hope that Neil and Ruth , who are behind me, or the owners of the new boat that snuck in behind us when we were all out, don't turn up - that could be interesting!! Here's Sheila at work with a sneak preview of a "work in progress". The picture below is a link to Sheilas' site- if you want to see more of her work or contact her.

3 comments:

Khayamanzi said...

...and I must say she looks very smart too! A super job. Credit must be due to the poor pair of harbour masters who had to fight with funny things like compression levers and speed wheels to turn her round for you so the other side can get 'done'!!

Khayamanzi said...

(BTW, the BBQ briquettes came from Derek & Sheila of NB Clarence fame I later discovered!)

Andy said...

Had to wander past K2 for a peek. Looks really good, I must get round to getting my boat into a state where signwriting is worthwhile. Warn me when you're going to be painting your deck and I'll keep Lyra away as she does seem to have decided that your deck is her place.