Monday 29 October 2007

Big Weekend!!

A break in all the weekend working as a result of a problem in our test financials, saw me, as promised , winging my way to the midlands and Norton Canes Boatbuilders. Graham was great, as well as fitting me around other visits, and viewing Ebenezer II, he had arranged for me to have an hour on Nb Resolute making her way along the Birmingham and Fazeley. (You are right Sarah - she is beautiful, and handles really well). Graham won't put a K3 in the engine room - but having worked the J3 in Resolute, I could settle for that!!
Graham is a man with an eye for detail. His work is superb, and the lines of his boats are perfect. Again he doesn't finish the fitout - but guys at his yard can do that, so the boat can stay put until finished.
In my mind, the three shell builders I've seen (Mel Davis, RW Davis, and Norton Canes), produce different but equally beautiful boats. Their customers all speak very highly of the finished product, and they all seem to have a cult following on the cut. Money is almost the same, so it's fitout, engine choice and timing that could make the final decision!
Jumping off 4mph, and onto 70mph (!) down the M42 and a bit, and into Andys Bar-B-Que. That was a great 5 hours spent, including lighting a bunch of Tesco value fireworks, sorting out a dodgy floodlight, and cooking burgers and steak for my Brother and Dad!! Had a look over Nb Wolf, owned by Tom and fitted out to his specification. She's a 50foot BCN tug, newly built and modern internals. At this stage the more boats I can see - the better!!
Nb Titan. I looked at her on Brokerage at ABNB, Crick. Genuine boat, lovely, but wasn't for me. Pity I missed the new owners.
Well, back to work today! a frenetic week, and 2 further weekends. By the end of today I will have forgotton all about the tranquility of the canal system!

No comments: