Tuesday 14 August 2007

The Theory Works.

I've had a number of conversations about K2, mainly about the accomodation. Can you really get all I want into the space available at 58foot, especially with a cabin of only 39 foot. I know, the Tug Deck really is a waste of room, but if you don't need the extra 12 foot of cabin then the outside space it offers is fantastic!
So much doubt lurks that I sat down with the back of a fag packet, well, actually MS Visio!, to see what sort of sizes can be achieved.
This is the plan! It's almost to scale!!
Of course no-one knows how many times this will change as it goes past the boatbuilders the fitouts, and my aspirations.
The book is open, gentlemen (and ladies) place your bets!
Now I will start looking at each section. Keep watching this space!!
There is a snag - a longer BMC, means a longer prop shaft, and that can produce a "wobble" at speed. It is possible to put in 2 shafts, I've seen that somewhere, or it's a hydraulic gearbox. Not sure about that with a vintage engine. Any thoughts anyone!?

1 comment:

Barnet said...

Hi Steve,

In reply to your question about a Hydraulic Gearbox and a Vintage engine...take a look at this boat which I'm selling at the moment.

http://www.nortoncanesboatbuilders.co.uk/boat_sale_details.asp?id=1

This boat has a Lister HAW3 and a hydraulicly driven prop. The system works really well, the main advantage being the extra height in the boatmans cabin. I've also tried to boat out and I really could not tell the difference.

The boat is at the yard at the moment, so may well be there when you come and visit, it's well worth a look at how it works.

Regards

Sarah @ Norton Canes