Monday 9 February 2009

Where K2 went out, got stuck and came home!

The plan was simple. Saturday a nice run out, moor up below the locks, then on Sunday a nice run home.
For a change, the ice in the marina was thin and K2 popped out of there easily, and the cut was lovely. But as we went on the ice got thicker, and our pace slowed as we crunched through, leaving a smaller channel where we had been. South (or is it East) of cruisers, K2's bow rose up out of the water, slid along as if on skis and then stopped, stalling that old donkey of hers as the prop thrashed against its own water load. 28tonnes and she just remained there, not even cracking the ice across the canal!
So there was only one way forward, and that was backwards!!
OK - reversing through cut ice is easy, she virtually followed her path back, up the cut (ice) through the bridge, past the moored boats and to the winding hole that had totally clear water, and was easy to turn in.
In my turn, I waited for a boat to pass me. A light live-aboard seeking his 2 bridges. ""Can't get through"" I advised, to which the reply was ""It's been fine up to here so far"". Good luck, I wonder how far he got once the well known ice breaker K2 had given up!!
So back to home (easily as someone had sliced through the ice for me - hang on, that WAS me!) where the ice had thickened and made it difficult getting back into my pontoon where instead of the quiet night, it was a noisy one, as we laughed our way through the evening, mainly about ice and trainsets!!








No comments: