Tuesday 21 August 2007

The Weekend Visit.

Saturday saw Claire and me, as promised, trundling the 3 hours up the M1 to Mansfield. Well, to Longwith actually. The home of Mel Davis, Boatbuilders. It is really a farm!! We spent a fantastic couple of hours there, looking over the boat in the workshop, and also a K2 look alike in their yard, just completed and getting ready for shipment to be fitted out. Just look at the detail on the finish on these boats. In my mind some of the most beautiful on the waterways. Mel describes his work, as art - and it really is.
The other good news was that Mel felt the lengths were fine (and he should know)! Prop shaft just gets bigger, designed specifically for the engine revolutions and the length of throw to the prop. Sounds great, and the slightly lengthened overall BMC to accomodate the fixed double, and the BMC area are fine too. So far, so good. If Mel is chosen - K2 would be born around December 2008, and take 10 weeks to become a sail away. Now onto the quote and the fit out people. Once again, Mel was able to suggest 3 different companies that he has and is using, I shall contact them this week, and start work on the job of fit out and engine search.

Disappointingly I have played tag with Norton Canes boatbuilders, who have their tug "Resolute" on the Wey navigation near my home. They want me to see it. I want to see it, but we can't quite hook up!! I'm sure we will in time.

No comments: